Splash is an international development organization founded in 2007 and headquartered in Seattle, Washington, USA. In 15 years, we have reached over 800,000 children in cities around the world. In 2019, we embarked on an exciting, five-year initiative, Project WISE (WASH in Schools for Everyone), focused on reaching over 800,000 children in three major growth cities - Addis Ababa and Bahir Dar, Ethiopia, and Kolkata, India - with improved water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure, WASH behavior change programs, and strengthened school-based menstrual health programs. Looking ahead, we aim to expand our impact to new cities across five countries in Asia and Africa.
Splash supports local leaders, institutions, and partners to drive lasting change on the ground. We believe that local capacity to solve problems at scale exists, and our job is to strategically support and magnify the impact of local governments, non-profit and for-profit actors for the good of children and families across the cities where we work.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
- People - People first. People second. People third.
- Quality - Beautiful products that function and last.
- Honesty - No drama, no surprises, no BS.
- Joy - Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
- Mistakes - Make them, don’t repeat them.
Splash values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization, and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants for employment.
To learn more, please visit www.splash.org.
This is a full-time position based in Addis Ababa or Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
The Regional Director (Amhara) will build, grow, and lead a team of WASH infrastructure and behavior change staff, as well as support staff in finance and operations. They will be responsible for overseeing Splash partner's ensuring implementation is on time and within budget. They will supervise the team and support local partners to design, construct, and maintain WASH infrastructure and implement behavior change and sustainability activities at school sites across Bahir Dar.
The position requires a hands-on WASH leader with experience in developing/designing, planning, implementing, monitoring, and reporting on complex programs and budgets; experience with personnel and contractor management; the ability to collaborate effectively with government technical experts and officials at the Bureau, sub-city, and woreda levels, and a strong understanding of risk and conflict management.
The position holder will work under the direct supervision of Splash Ethiopia’s Country Director and in close collaboration with Splash’s global leadership team. The successful candidate will play a key role in hiring, training, and managing the performance of program staff.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, they will ensure Splash work in Ethiopia exceeds Splash’s rigorous standards and audacious goals while also helping to chart a course toward the future. This includes creating a positive atmosphere and a culture of equity and inclusion for employees across all country offices and at all levels within the organization.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- With partners, define a blueprint for sustainable water supply, sanitation, handwashing, and menstrual health implementation at all rural, small town, and urban schools in Ethiopia.
- Unlock the talent of partners to create the conditions and momentum for scaled impact.
- Lead Splash's efforts to support the expansion of its successful schools-based interventions via partners in ways that are impactful and contextualized for local conditions, without the expectation that Splash will develop a “rural WASH” program (Splash remains focused on urban WASH).
- Leverage Splash expertise in an efficient manner by not creating redundant implementation capacity but instead supplementing and supporting local players with specialist expertise and technology as required.
- Influence partners; schools; and local, regional, and state government stakeholders to adopt the model while prioritizing and expanding WASH in Schools programs.
- Champion the clear pathway forward for WASH in Schools that is not only compelling but elicits funding support to expand and support future work.
- Lead the Splash team and partners in all efforts to improve and sustain access to and utilization of water and sanitation (WASH), menstrual health and hygiene (MHH), and behavior change (BC) services in all government schools in Bahir Dar (KG, primary, and secondary).
- Manage the Splash team and oversee partners in order to improve water supply at 56 sites (96 schools) including borehole drilling at ten school sites.
- Provide expertise to partners in order to improve sanitation conditions at 56 sites (96 schools).
- Champion and promote WASH behavior change and MHH among the school community.
- Strengthen stakeholders’ ownership and sustainability of WASH services.
- Create, implement, and track all high-level work plans and budgets, considering logistics, contractor management, behavior change, sustainability, and procurement activities and regularly communicate updates to key cross-functional team members in Addis and U.S.
- Work closely with Operations and Finance leads, and ensure efficiency in contractor and vendor selection based on local government requirements and global best practices.
- Continually assess (or determine) the effectiveness and long-term sustainability of all infrastructure program processes and context-based behavior change interventions. Ensure the quality of programs is in line with Splash’s quality standards and government sectoral plan. This includes seeking and promoting innovative ideas and approaches to ensure program quality.
- Work closely with the Partnerships Department to track different grant timelines, requirements, reporting needs, program implementation, and budget utilization versus planned works and financial projections and communicate to all members of the Ethiopia team (across departments) as needed.
- Ensure the use of data and evidence to guide and enhance planning and strategy development. Champion high-quality, on-time entry of programmatic data by the program team into Salesforce (our program data management system).
- Liaise with concerned project staff, local stakeholders (Woreda, Sub City, and Bureau level relevant government offices), and school management to ensure on-time and on-budget implementation and sustainability of the project interventions.
- Support knowledge sharing among global Splash team members, country and global strategy development and refinement, and development of expansion plans.
- As Splash scales in Amhara Regional State, the position holder will be responsible for designing an implementation model with local partners and local government officials. Represent Splash in a professional and positive way, communicating with partners and co-workers with a high level of respect.