Splash is an international charitable organization headquartered in Seattle, WA, founded in 2007. Our mission is simple: “We clean water for kids.” In 14 years, we have reached over 700,000 children in cities around the world. In 2019, we embarked on an exciting, five-year initiative, Project WISE, (WASH in Schools for Everyone), to reach every government school in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and Kolkata, India, with improved water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure, WASH behavior change programs and strengthened school-based menstrual health programs. This project will benefit 800,000 children by 2023.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
- People - People first. People second. People third.
- Quality - Beautiful products that function and last.
- Honesty - No drama, no surprises, no BS.
- Joy - Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
- Mistakes - Make them, don’t repeat them.
Splash values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants for employment. To learn more, please visit www.splash.org.
This is a full-time position based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The Senior Manager, Operations is a seasoned professional who is passionate about Splash’s mission and has an entrepreneurial spirit. Our Ethiopia Country Program is at a growth stage and poised for expansion. As the Senior Manager, Operations you will be responsible for ensuring that this massive operation not only comes to fruition but is run at world-class levels. That we are able to continuously and effectively stride towards Project WISE goals, with the utmost efficiency.
You bring more than passion to the role: you are a leader with exceptional operational and people management expertise. You’re an expert in building and managing complex operations and developing the processes necessary for scale. You know how to think – and act – big, while leading with integrity every step of the way.
The Senior Manager, Operations reports directly to the Director of Finance and Operations and is an integral member of the Ethiopia Senior Management Team (SMT).
- Operational Excellence. Whether working in operations at a private sector company or preferably, at an international non-profit organization, you demonstrate expertise in designing and managing processes for scale, managing budgets, and building lasting systems for strong personnel management. You understand business goals and can recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in operations: supply chain management, human resources, and technology. Your competencies include strategic HRM, establishing and developing organizational goals, policies, and procedures (SOPs) to ensure smooth business operations.
- Demonstrated ability to build and scale organizations or initiatives. You are entrepreneurial and creative, eager to find ways to develop talent, build a team, and set up an organization to scale impact. You have strong analytical skills and will be comfortable engaging multiple teams who are core to the success of Splash. You have a natural ability to work across borders to connect with our global team to help scale our operations in Ethiopia.
- Team building and cross-cultural skills. You should have significant experience leading strong teams, and you should be an expert at working with diverse groups of learners. It is also important that you have a demonstrated understanding of what it takes to build high-performance teams and a best-in-class operations department.
- Strategic Thinking. You have a strong ability to think strategically and plan for the future. You are able to assess trade-offs, risks, opportunities, and can see the big picture clearly even while getting through the day-to-day hurdles. You excel in change management and have successfully led teams while reducing risk and disruption.
- A deep commitment to our mission. We are looking for a leader with evidence of curiosity, and a deep commitment to lifelong learning. You will have demonstrated an ability and interest in creating large-scale change and impact. This could be seen through your involvement in building organizations, companies or non-profits and developing talent in some area that is meaningful to you.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Manage all operational elements of Splash Ethiopia
- Optimize current operational activities and make adjustments based on learnings.
- Oversee the facilities including both office and property to ensure safety and security for all employees and Splash infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain highly detailed budgets and timely financial projections.
Build strong processes and systems
- Maintain and create highly structured processes and systems with a data-driven approach.
- Maintain and create “playbooks,” detailed manuals that document all relevant parts of the Splash’s operating model; continually update and improve manuals in preparation for supporting other teams.
- Collaborate with the Director of Finance and Operations and the Chief Operating Officer to build systems and processes that successfully communicate all topline recurring indicators of success and that explain and troubleshoot any major outliers or obstacles to success.
Manage, coach, and mentor a strong team
- Manage all operations staff members and provide support to other cross-functional teams
- Provide structured evaluations of employee performance and promote a collaborative and transparent environment in line with Splash's values
- Exemplify strong communication and collaborative competencies