Splash is an international development organization founded in 2007 and headquartered in Seattle, Washington, USA. In 15 years, we have reached over 800,000 children in cities around the world. In 2019, we embarked on an exciting, five-year initiative, Project WISE (WASH in Schools for Everyone), focused on reaching over 800,000 children in three major growth cities - Addis Ababa and Bahir Dar, Ethiopia, and Kolkata, India - with improved water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure, WASH behavior change programs, and strengthened school-based menstrual health programs. Looking ahead, we aim to expand our impact to new cities across five countries in Asia and Africa.
Splash supports local leaders, institutions, and partners to drive lasting change on the ground. We believe that local capacity to solve problems at scale exists, and our job is to strategically support and magnify the impact of local governments, non-profit and for-profit actors for the good of children and families across the cities in which we work.
Our core values guide everything we do including every hiring decision we make. They are:
- People - People first. People second. People third.
- Quality - Beautiful products that function and last.
- Honesty - No drama, no surprises, no BS.
- Joy - Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
- Mistakes - Make them, don’t repeat them.
Splash values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization, and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants for employment. To learn more, please visit www.splash.org.
This is a full-time position based in Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
Splash envisions a world where every school in rural and urban Ethiopia has sustainable access to safe water, hygienic and girl-friendly sanitation, handwashing facilities that are used, and menstrual health support so children can learn and thrive. We support the Government of Ethiopia’s vision for WASH in schools. The Senior Project Manager, Technical Assistance will leverage the significant capacity of partners in Amhara to implement thoughtfully, creatively, and ultimately at scale and more broadly, given the scope of partner(s) activity in Ethiopia, liaise with and support government departments throughout the country, and build momentum for proven models that can be scaled and replicated.
The position requires a hands-on WASH leader with experience in developing/designing, planning, implementing, monitoring, and reporting on complex programs and budgets; experience with personnel and contractor management; the ability to collaborate effectively with government technical experts and officials at the Bureau, sub-city, and woreda levels, and a strong understanding of risk and conflict management.
The position holder will work under the direct supervision of Splash’s Regional Director, Amhara, and in close collaboration with Splash’s global leadership team.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the Regional Director as a key liaison between Splash, government stakeholders, and partner staff towards the ambitions outlined above.
- With partners, define a blueprint for sustainable water supply, sanitation, handwashing, and menstrual health implementation.
- Successfully plan, schedule, prepare, and facilitate collaborative forums with partners, and local stakeholders; co-design sessions on infrastructure, behavior change, and menstrual health interventions; as well as forums to disseminate learnings, and influence local, state, and regional actors to adopt the model and invest resources towards WASH in Schools.
- With partners, identify school locations for pilots and obtain appropriate school and government approvals to proceed with implementation and evaluation activities. Support partners, who will identify whoever is appropriate within the community, to lead on implementation, advocacy, and learning.
- Provide financial and narrative updates to Splash on a quarterly basis throughout the grant term.
- Serve as a conduit of learning across Splash and the wider local stakeholder community so that the strengths of all are further amplified during and after the grant period.
- Unlock the talent of partners to create the conditions and momentum for scaled impact.
- Lead Splash efforts to support the expansion of its successful schools-based interventions via partners in ways that is impactful and contextualized for local conditions, without the expectation that Splash will develop a “rural WASH” program (Splash remains focused on urban WASH).
- Influence partners; schools; and local, regional, and state government stakeholders to adopt the model while prioritizing and expanding WASH in Schools programs.
- Champion the clear pathway forward for WASH in Schools that is not only compelling but elicits funding support to expand and support future work.
- Create, implement, and track all high-level work plans and budgets, considering logistics, contractor management, behavior change, sustainability, and procurement activities and regularly communicate updates to key cross-functional team members in Addis and U.S.
- Work closely with the Partnerships Department to track different grant timelines, requirements, reporting needs, program implementation and budget utilization versus planned works and financial projections and communicate to all members of the Ethiopia team (across departments) as needed.
- Ensure the use of data and evidence to guide and enhance planning and strategy development.
- Champion high-quality, on-time entry of programmatic data by the program team into Salesforce (our program data management system).
- Liaise with concerned project staff, local stakeholders (Woreda, Sub City, and Bureau level relevant government offices), and school management to ensure on-time and on-budget implementation and sustainability of the project interventions.
- Support knowledge sharing among global Splash team members, country and global strategy development and refinement, and development of expansion plans.
- Represent Splash in a professional and positive way, communicating with partners and co-workers with a high level of respect.